Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Employment -- "Right to Work"

I apologize for being absent on my last couple of blogs. I have been epically sick to the point of being unable to coherently think or type. I am still recovering, but I am able to type and think well enough at this point to be understood coherently. I didn't mention this before, but I would like anyone reading this particular blog to post replies speaking your opinion on the particular topic of the post. All I ask is to organize your thoughts in such a manner in which is coherent and comprehensible. Try to make your arguments logical. I ask this because, while not all opinions are correct, at least all opinions can be presented in a logical, coherent, and comprehensible fashion. Today, I am going to speak of what it is to work, particularly in the state of Nevada. The state of Nevada is a right to work state, which has a different denotation than would be imagined by many people outside of a right to work state, and even by a lot of people in this particular right to work state. Under the Nevada State constitution, the "right to work" clause states that an employer has the right to terminate the employment of an employer for any reason the employer sees fit. In other words, just so long as the employer can give the local or state government for termination when requested, even if it is a person merely lightly coughing causing a health risk when he's working a desk job that has absolutely nothing at all to do with providing substances that customers eat, drink or smoke.
This is a main concern for every employee of the state of Nevada who knows this law, even on a general level. Some of us know the fact that one of the reasons for the homeless epidemic here in Vegas is just this very law. It allows employers to fire employees with no real cause to do so. One of the implicit outcomes of this law is the difficulty of obtaining a job. The easier it is for a company to fire a person, the easier it is for a company to not hire someone for any reason. With the mayor of Las Vegas, Oscar Goodman, being a former mafia lawyer, it's easy to see how that implication can be there. As far as I know, Nevada is the only right to work state in the U.S.A. I might be wrong. But if you are in a right to work state, especially in a highly corrupt city, then you know my worries about this. Especially if you are of the lower socioeconomic class. It's the fear of not being able to pay the bills if the boss decides he doesn't like you for a reason you are unaware of. If the boss decides to fire you randomly even though you have done nothing wrong as far as the job is concerned. And I have observed this to happen on many occasions. In at least 20 instances, I have seen a coworker let go with their final paycheck without reason, without cause. And the scary part about it is that this firing is perfectly legal under right-to-work law. Take that as you will. -[alpha]{BETA}[delta]

No comments: